A WebQuest for Middle School Art
Michaele J. Price
Mr. Wilbur Littleton, an elderly man in his ninties, has decided
to retire in the small town of Hamchat. Mr. Littleton has spent his entire
life traveling the world studying master artist and their work. Mr.
Littleton was very disappointed when he found out Hamchat did not have an
art gallery. He decided to donate twenty million dollars to have a museum
built so that Hamchat township would be able to share his love for art.
His desire for the museum was for it to have at least 10 different
wings with each wing dedicated to a specific art movement. There was only
on problem, no one in Hamchat knew anything about art. The first thing Mr.
Little ton did was to create an executive board made up of important bussinessmen
from Hamchat. The board decided to create task forces. Each task force will
create a brochure on a selected art movement. This brochure meeds to give
history of art movement, samples of art works produced during this time period
and influences on history, culture and the artist.
Remember, Mr. Littleton's demands are simple, he merely request that the gallery be designed around several art movments or periods and that all art in the collection originated in the same period.
To create a brochure to be presented to Mr. Little ton and the executive
board, you will be assigned to a teacm with two other people.
1. As a team you may want to study the evaluation rubric. Notice points
in each section. As you plan, refer back to the rubric and make sure you are
completing all parts of the rubric.
Metropolitan Museum of Art
3. Once you have chosen an art movement, print out the Gathering Information worksheet.
4. After completion of the worksheet, now it is time to come together as a group to work on your presentation. Review the evaluation rubric again and plan our your presentation.
5. Gather your team around the computer and open up the brochure template in Microsoft Publisher and decide on what type of brochure you are going to use.
6. As a group decide what information about the art movement as well as which artist will be highlighted in the brochure.
NOTE: Keep in mind the points of value each section of the rubic. Below are some points to include in your brochure.
Development of art movement
Historical/cultural events that influenced movment
Include brief description of art movment
List artist who worked during this movement
Highlight important artist and their works
Don't forget credit lines for each art work
Other important facts would be whereabouts of the artwork; present day value of artwork.
a. Make sure there is space around articles to have pictures of artworks by each artist.
b. Choose someone to type in your information. Make sure you run spell check to correct any spelling and grammar errors.
c. Copy and paste your selectied artwork into brochure
7. After all articles and pictures are in your brochure,print it out and ask students in another group to have a writing conference with your brochure.
8. Make necessary changes to your brochure.
9. Print it out and show it off! You're done! Great Job!
Describe to the learners how their performance will be evaluated. Specify whether there will be a common grade for group work vs. individual grades.
Beginning 1 Developing 2 Accomplished 3 Exemplary 4 Score (10 points)
Now you are ready to present
your brochure to Mr. Littleton and the executive board of the new museum.
Hopefully by this time, you
have a better understanding of how historical events, culture and geographical
regions have effect on art movements and artist. You should have a better
understanind of why the different movments developed. The new museum is very
pleased with your brochure.