Make Your Own Volcano
red food coloring
sand, soil or leaves
clay (to be used to build a mound around the volcano)
What to do:
1. Place the can on the ground outside or on a paper plate or tray, if inside.
2. Build a mound around the can using soil, sand, leaves, clay, or paper to create your own image of a small mountain.
3. Fill the can 1/2 to 3/4 full with vinegar. Add a few drops of red food coloring, then a spoonful of baking soda.
4. Watch the lava flow down the sides of the volcano as the chemical reaction between the acid and baking soda occurs.
5. Repeat as long as the vinegar and baking
More Mudpies to Magnets.
Publishers Gryphon House, Inc.
Volcanoes!: Mountains of Fire
by Arnold, Eric